100%
no please, this guy is a pain
No votes

Total votes: 6

NoobKilla
Unleveled User

Re: reDIRKulous faking ;-)

Post by NoobKilla »

My setting is optimal for my vision. I need to see what's happening around me, if nobody is around me, then I can zoom in and focus in front of me. I need FOV high so I could see who is around me. Trust me I know what I'm doing. All of your advice, and I mean everyone's advice, is misleading at best. How can one play with FOV below 130 in a game that requires you to be aware of your surrounding teammates and enemies positions at all time, makes no sense. It's different in games like Rainbow 6 Siege where it's a close quarter action all the time, where default FOV is 60 and zoom is like 10-30 depending on the operator you're using.
PacMan
User lv5
User lv5
in-game nick: PacMan.EZ

Post by PacMan »

Lisa_Ann wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 18:43 "For games that use horizontal FOV, there's actually a very reliable math expression that can tell you what FOV you should be using.
Do not use this formula if the game uses vertical FOV.

Some variables:
DF = The game's default FOV
DR = The game's default aspect ratio (either 1.33 or 1.78)
NR = Your target aspect ratio (1.6, 1.78, 2.33, etc.)

The expression is:
2*atan((NR)/(DR) * tan(DF/2))

Don't let radians trip you up. Everything needs to be done in degrees.
Google friendly version:
2*atan((NR)/(DR) * tan(DF/2 degrees)) in degrees
So for instance, let's say the default FOV is 90, the default aspect ratio is 1.33, and you want it to look good on a 21:9 monitor. You would plug in the variables, and your google friendly formula becomes this:
2*atan((21/9)/(4/3) * tan(90/2 degrees)) in degrees

Paste that into Google, and it will tell you to increase it to about 120.5.
Or if you just want 16:9, paste this instead:
2*atan((16/9)/(4/3) * tan(90/2 degrees)) in degrees
And Google will tell you to use about 106."

https://www.treq-sim.com/2022/05/03/how ... rrect-fov/
However the variable still missing is the human themselves and there eye sight? 120 fov default but for others it will be different hence what you see and reaction to it

After what you do above you will still adjust to what your eyes can work with
NoobKilla
Unleveled User

Post by NoobKilla »

130 works for me, the default one, when I need to zoom I press zoom btn, zoom is much lower. It's about the game, not about the BS goo-gle. EDIT: you talk nonsense.
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin
in-game nick: not available

Post by adminless »

btw dude in addition of being visually handicapped, are you also hearing handicapped? I mean, I'm by no means any sort of skilled player or anything just beyond testing/casually but it's my understanding that any serious player is gonna tell you that that's exactly what your ears are there for, to make you aware of what you can not "see". that's probably what you should use to guide you overall so you can visually focus instead more in screen quarters (ninety degrees) and that should be about your widest mouse move as well. I mean, that's my understanding (not really experience but from feedback) of what the basic setup/game concept is as I said.
RH
User lv4
User lv4

Post by RH »

NoobKilla wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 14:36 I'm not trying to be a smartarse here, but there's a zoom function implemented in the game. I had best results, 30+ score per match when my fov was 140 and zoom 50-60. Every time I had to focus on someone or fire I'd press zoom and it was pretty accurate. I know I'm noob compared to all of you, but have to say that you simply provide the worst possible advice.
You could just go look at the settings and configs from top players who attended qcon. There are a few rare outliers, but most people fall into those ranges.

It is possible to get good on any settings, but you will have a harder time with anything abnormal. Use 90-110 fov, and 20cm/360 to 30cm/360 sensitivity.

If your entire reason for wanting high fov is situational awareness, that sounds more like a sound and attention issue. Get better headphones, pay more attention, and learn the maps more.

You aren't unique in your opinion. Every new player does the same thing, cranking fov up to 120 or 130 to feel fast.

If you think that is the worst possible advice then don't listen to it. Doesn't matter to me if you continue to suck.
NoobKilla
Unleveled User

Post by NoobKilla »

I do not suck, my connection sucks, and even with that bad connection, with my 130 FOV I was able to be top player many times, scored 35-40 in many matches. When connection is better I do well, when connection is poor, most of my hits do not register. It's that simple.
NoobKilla
Unleveled User

Post by NoobKilla »

adminless wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 23:39 btw dude in addition of being visually handicapped, are you also hearing handicapped? I mean, I'm by no means any sort of skilled player or anything just beyond testing/casually but it's my understanding that any serious player is gonna tell you that that's exactly what your ears are there for, to make you aware of what you can not "see". that's probably what you should use to guide you overall so you can visually focus instead more in screen quarters (nineteen degrees) and that should be about your widest mouse move as well. I mean, that's my understanding (not really experience but from feedback) of what the basic setup/game concept is as I said.
That's because you're not a player like me, or as you admitted, at all. That's just nonsense if you don't mind me saying. How can you tell, by using your ears, how many of your teammates and where they are located and what areas are they covering, or how many enemies there are and what they're doing? You cannot, it's simple common knowledge about how ears function. That's why we have eyes and the brain to process what eyes are seeing.
NoobKilla
Unleveled User

Post by NoobKilla »

That's why I'm always ranked among top players, even with my poor connection, I've been MVP many times in R6S, BFBC2, etc. Even in Q3A I was MVP many times. But when my connection is poor, which is often, I cannot do much about it, so I'm average most of the time.
PacMan
User lv5
User lv5

Post by PacMan »

NoobKilla wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 0:15 That's why I'm always ranked among top players, even with my poor connection, I've been MVP many times in R6S, BFBC2, etc. Even in Q3A I was MVP many times. But when my connection is poor, which is often, I cannot do much about it, so I'm average most of the time.
Dude , do you smoke?

What you mean top player? Is that on another server? Like your own unfriz server with bits sent to hurt me plenty ?
NoobKilla
Unleveled User

Post by NoobKilla »

I was on Adminless' servers MVP many times with 43, 38, 32, etc. kills. Sometimes I was MVP for entire match, sometimes MVP in my own team, but not much behind MVP of other team, I'm sure there are stats there somewhere. Unfortunately, I was disconnected from the server many times midgame, that ruins the stats. I also lag profusely lots of times so that ruins the stats, if you're talking about stats. Stats do not reflect my skills due to bad connection. I was MVP in many games, some I mentioned some I didn't, but will now: Splitgate, Ironsight, Diabotical, Unreal Tournament, BF2, BF3, BF4, etc. I'm a player.
Lisa_Ann
User lv4
User lv4
in-game nick: LisaTheAnn

Post by Lisa_Ann »

https://www.treq-sim.com/2022/05/03/how ... rrect-fov/
However the variable still missing is the human themselves and there eye sight? 120 fov default but for others it will be different hence what you see and reaction to it

Of course, I just started playing Quake in 21:9, where I had a FOV of 130. then I switched back to FHD 16:9. I set the value to 106, pushed it for a long time. For me, it was perfect for playing with the rocket launcher and zoomed railgun. BUT! without zoom, I practically couldn't use raigun, and my movement was completely horrible (not a big number now, but it's improved xd). Then I changed hardware and found myself in a completely different world, whether looking at the keyboard or the mouse and pad. Until then, I used intensity numbers like 25 and even higher, now like 2 and below at 800 dpi... Yes, but here I'm used to these values with a FOV of 95. Thus, the rail developed quite well, as well as the other weapons, but I deal with the rocket a little more carefully, I still use the rj script a lot...

Now I want to go back to FOV 106, but then I have to stop all sensitivities and get used to it again. I consider this value to be good, right? The original game came out with a FOV of 90, but then it was still running on 800x600 and similar monitors with a 4:3 ratio. Obviously it depends on the individual anyway.

The undoubted advantage of a larger FOV is that you can see a larger area, but your brain cannot react quickly enough. (more time to look at the picture.) I have a professional friend who swears by 720p with a TN panel :D

The size and location of the monitor also matter a lot. In general, the 24" size is considered good for average eye distance.

So it depends on a lot of things.
NoobKilla
Unleveled User

Post by NoobKilla »

^ In other words and in short, you're making a big deal out of nothing. Fact is we all have different brains and you're talking as if it's the exact same thing for everyone. It is not. We're all different. What applies to you doesn't apply to anyone else. So, everything you wrote is just a pile of d.g p..p.
PacMan
User lv5
User lv5

Post by PacMan »

Lisa_Ann wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 15:59 https://www.treq-sim.com/2022/05/03/how ... rrect-fov/

Of course, I just started playing Quake in 21:9, where I had a FOV of 130. then I switched back to FHD 16:9. I set the value to 106, pushed it for a long time. For me, it was perfect for playing with the rocket launcher and zoomed railgun. BUT! without zoom, I practically couldn't use raigun, and my movement was completely horrible (not a big number now, but it's improved xd). Then I changed hardware and found myself in a completely different world, whether looking at the keyboard or the mouse and pad. Until then, I used intensity numbers like 25 and even higher, now like 2 and below at 800 dpi... Yes, but here I'm used to these values with a FOV of 95. Thus, the rail developed quite well, as well as the other weapons, but I deal with the rocket a little more carefully, I still use the rj script a lot...

Now I want to go back to FOV 106, but then I have to stop all sensitivities and get used to it again. I consider this value to be good, right? The original game came out with a FOV of 90, but then it was still running on 800x600 and similar monitors with a 4:3 ratio. Obviously it depends on the individual anyway.

The undoubted advantage of a larger FOV is that you can see a larger area, but your brain cannot react quickly enough. (more time to look at the picture.) I have a professional friend who swears by 720p with a TN panel :D

The size and location of the monitor also matter a lot. In general, the 24" size is considered good for average eye distance.

So it depends on a lot of things.
Your just to hardcore , good info
PacMan
User lv5
User lv5

Post by PacMan »

NoobKilla wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 16:53 ^ In other words and in short, you're making a big deal out of nothing. Fact is we all have different brains and you're talking as if it's the exact same thing for everyone. It is not. We're all different. What applies to you doesn't apply to anyone else. So, everything you wrote is just a pile of d.g p..p.
Not really I just think what applies to rest.of world doesn't apply to you my friend hahaha
NoobKilla
Unleveled User

Post by NoobKilla »

^ Could be, perhaps you're right. I can't see with my ears, I'm not a blind bat, yet, I can only see with my eyes and even if it's just a glimpse of bright green pixel on a gray map in a far corner of the map, my brain will register it and know there's an enemy there, so I need high FOV to be able to see that bright green pixel in a far corner of the monitor's screen. That is something that cannot happen if FOV has the value y'all are suggesting.