What would this forum be without my stupid noob questions, here's another one!

UnFreeZe/FreeFUn/glacius Game Servers forum.
NoobKilla
Unleveled User

What would this forum be without my stupid noob questions, here's another one!

Post by NoobKilla »

I guess, this is another of those questions for Adminless, who else :crazy: :lol:

This Friday I had a really persistent lags and some of the players told me to switch to other domain as they were all playing in that one. I did switch, but the lags were even worse for a while, like 5 minutes or more, but then got better out of the blue. I don't know what's going on, so I'm providing you with a screenshot which is puzzling for me, but you, Adminless, will probably explain it to all of us. You can see on the screenshot that there are 3 entries for the Glacius server. One entry is .de domain with latency of 30ms, second one is .e1 domain with latency of 34ms, third one is also .e1 domain with latency of 37ms. My question is why is there a lag between those 3 servers? Isn't that the exact same server (same IP) just having multiple domains?
GLACIUS party Friday-Sunday 20h.jpg
The screenshot was made with different client, because the one downloadable here is not allowing screenshots taken, it's just black screen. The values in the list for latency are exactly the same though, in all of the clients. Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin
in-game nick: not available

Re: What would this forum be without my stupid noob questions, here's another one!

Post by adminless »

no, obviously they are different routes, that's exactly why they are provided and why people is suggesting you to try them. typically the difference within them is minimal (just as you're noting few msecs more or less approx on average) but on some instances the difference can be quite large and noticeable (i.e. +10 msecs plus significant jitter) hence why they are provided. the recommended routes for your specific connection at the time of writing are \connect fpsclasico.eu:27961 for the main server (or \connect fpsclasico.eu:27963 for glacius) and \connect fpsclasico.de:27962 for the secondary server. type those on the console just for easiness of use. in any case, if you tried various different routes and all lagged the same or worse that clearly tells that then the lag wasn't on the server but on your end.
NoobKilla
Unleveled User

Re: What would this forum be without my stupid noob questions, here's another one!

Post by NoobKilla »

Ok, thanks. So, the lesser lag in the list is better? The easiest for me is to just click in the list not type anything. Which one should I click on that list, the first one?
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

that translates with e1 for unfreeze and glacius and de for freefun and ffa in that list.
NoobKilla
Unleveled User

Post by NoobKilla »

But, the e1 in that list has higher latency? Isn't lower latency better?
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

the difference that reads there is mostly noise. I measured it in the console with proper tools and those are the best routes for your connection at the time of writing. anyways as I'm telling you is not that the difference is huge in your case or anything so pretty much you can just connect to any of those and it should work virtually the same for you so do not stress so much about it.
NoobKilla
Unleveled User

Post by NoobKilla »

But, it's possible what you're saying, I will connect now to EU1, because thus far I was only connecting to the lowest latency and it didn't work well always, so yeah, I'll do what you say EU1 on Glacius.

EDIT: it work much better! First few maps were without any issues, I was able to hit a lot, but then it started to lag a little bit, for like 1 minute and then it was great again, but then towards the end it started lagging again, just a little and then it stopped again. Overall, much better than playing on DE with lower latency. Thanks!
PacMan
User lv5
User lv5
in-game nick: PacMan.EZ

Post by PacMan »

adminless wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 16:32 that translates with e1 for unfreeze and glacius and de for freefun and ffa in that list.
Dude I usually play main server sorry to add to this thread just wondering if anything linked

Basically I crash everything freezes , I then exit the game , then upon entering the server back , i am forced to have unamed player and didn't have to wait for reconnect

My config is running my name is normal when I go to setup but not in the team it's still unamedplayer, unless I goto setup and let's say remove a letter press enter to force server to accept my name back

Weird right?
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

try by reinstalling the package first (i.e. download again, extract to a different folder, put the pak0.pk3 file inside and try as-is, nothing else) as it might have broke as some point or if it that doesn't help either simply try the other package and see if it's more stable. the cfg reset after crash is normal, to some extend, that can happen (if the game crashes the computer it can as well perfectly crash the cfg as a crashed computer can not properly save/process the cfg which will lead to errors). the real issue you have to look for there is the crash, not the cfg reset. the cfg reset is most likely a consequence of the crash so what you should figure out first is why your game is crashing.
NoobKilla
Unleveled User

Post by NoobKilla »

I had such problem with all of the games, like 2-3 years ago and my computer was just crashing and resetting. And you probably won't believe me what it was, but I'm going to tell you anyway. It wasn't anything software related, it was hardware. Initially I thought it was either virus or malware, but after running hardware checker it stated that the HDD was failing. So, my mom took computer to service guys and it took them a while to fix the issue, turned out if was something with the controller on a motherboard. Anyway they fixed it, but the damage has been done as most of the data on the hard was unusable, files were either corrupt or gone, so corrupted had to be deleted and stuff to be reinstalled, so they reinstalled OS and everything. I lost all my games and stuff. Pretty depressing experience. I was feeling bad for days.